Listed Building: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (1.48.1)

Please read our .

Grade II*
EH LBS Legacy ID 411068
Date assigned Wednesday, February 1, 1967
Date last amended


Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Chancel restored by Ewan Christian, 1868; remainder restored by C. Scholefield, 1897. Coursed squared rubble, coursed rubble, snecked ashlar, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, vestry, south aisle, south porch, chancel. West tower, C12 and C15, 3 stages, has chamfered plinth, 2 string courses, eaves band, crenellated parapet, remains of partial buttress to south east. North, south and east sides have each a single gargoyle. West side has bolection moulded square headed blocked doorway, and above, C14 single lancet with splayed reveal and hood mould. Above again, single round headed light and clock, 1977. Second stage has 4 round headed openings with colonettes, each containing 2 round headed bell openings with central shaft and square capitals. North aisle, 4 bays, has 2 pairs of corner buttresses and 3 intermediate buttresses, 2 set-offs. Square chimney on south east corner. West end has, to right, Tudor arched blocked doorway, and above a C14 cusped trefoil headed niche. To left, C14 triple lancet with flowing tracery and coved and chamfered reveal. North side has 2 similar C14 triple lancets with square heads and hood moulds. To their right, C14 cusped trefoil headed doorway with chamfered reveal, ogee hood mould and foliate finial. East end has similar triple lancet to west end, restored C19. South aisle, 4 bays, has a pair of corner buttresses to east and 2 intermediate buttresses, 2 set-offs. Chamfered plinth and eaves, 2 coped gables with crosses. East end has, to left, C14 triple lancet with round cusped heads and flowing tracery. Above, central trefoil beaded chamfered niche. South side has 3 C14 cusped triple lancets with chamfered and rebated reveals and hood moulds with mask stops. West end has, to right, C14 double lancet with Y tracery, chamfered reveal and hood mould with mask stops. Above, niche similar to east end. To left, remains of coped gable and to left again, blocked C14 arch. South porch C19 in C14 style. Chamfered plinth and eaves, string course, pair of flanking buttresses, coped gable with cross add gabled kneelers. Chamfered and rebated roll moulded door with coyed ogee hood mould and foliate finial. Vaulted timber roof on corbels. South doorway, late C12, 2 orders, with chamfered and roll moulded head and soffit with double decorated zigzag moulding. Outer soffit has cove and roll mouldings. Single colonettes with moulded square capitals. Chancel, 1868, 4 bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves and coped gable with cross. North side has 4 C13 style single lancets with chamfered reveals and hood moulds. East end has eaves band and 3 similar unequal lancets. South side has 4 similar lancets, restored 1868, and C13 priest's door with chamfered reveal and hood mould. Nave arcades, C13, have 2 diagonally set square piers with 4 engaged ringed shafts, square bases and stiff leaf capitals. Keeled clustered ringed shaft responds with stiff leaf capitals. Arches have triple roll mould intrados and soffit with keeled roll mould and rebate. Hood mould with mask and foliate stops. C19 principal rafter roof with chamfered arch braces to collars and struts to principals. Alternate bays have imposts with stiff leaf capitals. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and mask stops. Octagonal imposts with moulded capital to south and stiff leaf to north. Above, blocked rebated doorway. Tower chamber has panelled stair enclosure and west window with stained glass, 1896. Central font. North aisle has C19 lean-to roof on corbels, with arch braces. Panelled timber screen at west end forming vestry. Vestry south wall incorporates re-set mask corbel, tomb slab and part of headstone, and slate plaque commemorating the restoration of 1897. 3 roof lead plaques with churchwardens and plumbers names, 1742, 1745, 1780. South aisle has to east, C14 trefoil headed piscina with octagonal bowl on stem. West end has blocked C14 half arch. North side has 10 carved late C14 corbels, 2 Romanesque corbels and a Romanesque gargoyle. C19 principal rafter roof with arched braces. Chancel has to north, stained glass window, 1867, and to east C19 panelled table with matching gradine, and east window with C19 stained glass. South side has restored square aumbry and C15 segmental headed aumbry with hood mould linked to sill band. Stained glass windows, 1890, 1872 and C19. Fittings include roll moulded deal benches, 1897, timber eagle lectern, octagonal pierced panelled pulpit, similar choir stalls, 1898, with crocketed finials, 2 C17 chip carved armchairs with angels in low relief; C15 plain tub font with octagonal base and stem and cover with ogee brackets to finial. Monuments include tablet, 1898, and brasses 1910 and 1916. (NCC/js)

External Links (0)

Sources (0)



Grid reference Centred SK 78340 81104 (32m by 22m)
Map sheet SK78SE
District Bassetlaw
Civil Parish South Leverton, Bassetlaw

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Apr 29 2015 11:39AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any questions or more information about this record? Please feel free to comment below with your name and email address. All comments are submitted to the website maintainers for moderation, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible. Comments, questions and answers that may be helpful to other users will be retained and displayed along with the name you supply. The email address you supply will never be displayed or shared.