Site Event/Activity record ENT8232 - Desk-Based Assessment at Castlewood Grange, Sutton in Ashfield
Location
| Location | Castlewood Grange, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire |
|---|---|
| Grid reference | Centred SK 46664 56949 (1039m by 799m) |
| Map sheet | SK45NE |
| District | Ashfield |
| Civil Parish | Sutton in Ashfield, Ashfield |
Technique(s)
Organisation
Trent and Peak Archaeology
Date
From: 01 Jan 2006
To: 31 Aug 2006
Description
A desk-based assessment was carried out on land near the junction of the A38 dual-carriageway road (formerly the A615) and Junction 28 of the M1 motorway. The site lies within the district of Sutton in Ashfield, with its western edge following the county boundary with Derbyshire. The area of about 0.4 sq. km is gently rolling landscape of mainly arable fields.
There is a shortage of known prehistoric or Roman sites in the area, partly because of the nature of the soils, the spread of modern urban sprawl and limited vegetation. However, pot sherds of Roman and Medieval date were found during fieldwalking of the other site in 1993-94. The general area is best known for its industrial archaeology, especially in relation to coal mining and early railway communications.
Documentary searches were made at Nottinghamshire Archives Office, Derbyshire Records Office, and at local studies libraries in the area. Little was found of specific value to the site. The area was part of Fulwood, a forested area distinct from Sherwood Forest, the western boundary of which may have passed through the area. Pinxton Castle was occuped by the Wynns, who may have been Forest Keepers responsible for the upkeep of Fulwood Forest and not Sherwood.
Enclosure of Fulwood may have started with the Prior of Lenton in the early 13th century, and continued up to the late 18th century. Early seventeenth century maps by William Senior show that part of the site (and much of the site studied in 1994) had been enclosed on Pinxton ane (now Crow Trees Farm).
Maps show that the county boundary was moved in the 19th century to its present position.
The site was crossed by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (later the Great Central) in 1887 and the Colliery was opened in 1893. A map of 1840 map shows a quarry at the north-east corner of the site.
Sources/Archives (2)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Jul 27 2026 2:44PM