Building record M4453 - Church of St. James (Ruined Chapel)


CHAPEL (Medieval to Post Medieval)


Grid reference Centred SK 69109 72986 (19m by 11m)
Map sheet SK67SE
District Bassetlaw
Civil Parish Haughton, Bassetlaw


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

An early Norman chapel dedicated to St James, restored in the C14, with a mortuary chapel added about 1545. It was a parish chapel until an enclosure in 1509, when it became a domestic chapel to Haughton Hall. It was mentioned as a ruin in 1795. (1)
This building, in a greatly neglected condition, is now mainly fallen and generally unsafe. The N wall stands to a max height of 3.8m, elsewhere max 1.7m only. Dropped and overgrown stones litter the site. The major identifiable architecture is C14/C15, but traces of Norman work is evident in the original S doorway and elsewhere. The enclosed area in which the chapel stands is heavily tree covered, no graves are evident. An old trench (? archaeological excavation) is open at SK 69125 72975, but reveals nothing. (2)
Ruined church of St James which in 1509 became the domestic chapel belonging to Haughton Manor, the home of the Stanhopes and Holleses. The chapel is considerably older than this; basically it is Norman, with a S door and having walls of original workmanship. On the W side, an arcade has been blocked when the aisle was pulled down in the C14. The chancel arch, of transitional style, is filled with debris. The monument is in bad condition; much of it lies in rubble on the ground. It has deteriorated considerably since the NMR photos were taken. Despite reports on file that it was demolished in 1960, this apparently consisted only in dismantling the uppermost, and therefore most precarious parts of the structure. (4)
Haughton Chapel has been bulldozed to a height of approx 1m on ? and NE. The only wall standing is the N with blocked C14 arcade - columns and arches. This stands 3m high. The interior is filled with rubble, and in places along the S wall, and in the area of the chancel arch, the rubble has been cleared away from the base of the walls. No Norman work is now visible in the ruinous structure. Arcade / wall is disintegrating rapidly and will soon collapse. However the whitewashed arch at the NW corner is painted with red rosettes and vine scroll decoration. (5)
More recent visit (6) on AM107.
Named 'Chapel'. (8)
Visited by J Severn in 1997 as part of the Church History Project. (9)
See M8713 - deserted village, M4451 - Haughton Hall, M4452 - motte & bailey, L6509 - cropmark.

Data Held: Aerial Photograph (Aerial photograph). SNT2645.

DNR 2429/20

Data Held: Ground Photograph (Ground photograph). SNT2646.

1 colour print, neg B67/1, SMR

Listed buildings slides, (Photograph). SNT2648.

<1> Thoroton Society, 1931, TTS, pp 8-17 (Published document). SNT351.

<2> Colquhoun FD, 1974, Pers Comm (Personal comment). SNT582.

<3> Pevsner N, 1979, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire 2nd ed., p 139 (Monograph). SNT4.

<4> DOE, AM7 - undated, no author (Unpublished document). SNT52.

<5> Hart CR, 1984, AM107 (Unpublished document). SNT754.

<6> Samuels JR, 1986, AM107 (Unpublished document). SNT1231.

<7> Thoroton Society, 1978, TTS, p 11 (Published document). SNT391.

<8> Sanderson G, 1835, 20 miles around Mansfield - 2 in (Map). SNT48.

<9> J A Severn, 1997, Report of a Visit to Haughton Chapel of St. James for the Church History Project and other documents. (Unpublished document). SNT5009.

Sources/Archives (12)

  • --- Aerial photograph: Data Held: Aerial Photograph.
  • --- Ground photograph: Data Held: Ground Photograph.
  • --- Photograph: Listed buildings slides. .
  • <1> Published document: Thoroton Society. 1931. TTS. 35. pp 8-17.
  • <2> Personal comment: Colquhoun FD. 1974. Pers Comm.
  • <3> Monograph: Pevsner N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire 2nd ed.. Penguin. p 139 .
  • <4> Unpublished document: DOE. AM7 - undated, no author.
  • <5> Unpublished document: Hart CR. 1984. AM107.
  • <6> Unpublished document: Samuels JR. 1986. AM107.
  • <7> Published document: Thoroton Society. 1978. TTS. 82. p 11.
  • <8> Map: Sanderson G. 1835. 20 miles around Mansfield - 2 in.
  • <9> Unpublished document: J A Severn. 1997. Report of a Visit to Haughton Chapel of St. James for the Church History Project and other documents..

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jan 19 2023 7:34PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any questions or more information about this record? Please feel free to comment below with your name and email address. All comments are submitted to the website maintainers for moderation, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible. Comments, questions and answers that may be helpful to other users will be retained and displayed along with the name you supply. The email address you supply will never be displayed or shared.