Building record M466 - Anglo-Scotian Mills, Beeston


TEXTILE MILL (Victorian to Late 20th Century)


Grid reference Centred SK 52727 37152 (108m by 80m)
Map sheet SK53NW
District Broxtowe
Civil Parish Beeston, Broxtowe


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Large, 4 storey, many buildings - 1870-80. Anglo-Scotian Mills made lace and Scottish type knitwear. E side of Wollaton Road, has castellated style front and rear entrance, probably added to former older building in the middle as bricks suggest. This castellated style is quite unique in factory building and it was given the name "The Barracks" by local people. Much the largest mill in Beeston. Central portion has hip roof of slate, old style windows of small panes, tie irons. Bricks in English bond. Top storey of old central portion is slate clad. Variety of buildings, all used. A branch factory (M625) was built in similar style in Chilwell, now demolished (29/03/1966). (1)
The precise date of erection is unknown, but it must have been in the 1870's. Kelly's Directory records F. Wilkinson & Co. making Shetland hosiery in Villa Street Mills in 1876 and lists the same firm producing curtains in the Anglo-Scotian Mills in 1881. (2)
Distinctive architecturally, the Anglo-Scotian Mills of 1871. (4)
Lace and shawl factory, printing room, waiting room and gateway. 1886 and 1892 and 1893. By J. Huckerby for F. Wilkinson. (5)
Deposited 27/06/1892. Warehouse, Wollaton Road. By J. Huckerby for Mr. Wilkinson. This is unlikely to be a refronting as (1) suggests, as plans and sections are included. (7)
Deposited 04/04/1893. Waiting Room, Wollaton Road. By J. Huckerby for Mr. Wilkinson. (8)
The mill complex appears to have started at a site situated at the NW end of Villa Street in the first half of the 19th century. The engine room and ancillary structures may have been added in the 1850s. IN the mid 1880s Mr Frank Wilkinson was expanding the business when a major fire destroyed most of the site. After this the west part of the long range was demolished and the east part rebuilt in stages. The site consolidated around the north end of Villa Street with a new mill building…a new boiler room and bleach yard being built. A second fire damaged the SE part of the site. The west part of the site was used to house a prestigious new structure as a warehouse, showroom and office. After the death of Wilkinson in 1897 the single lace business ended and the site was used for a number of tenement factories and businesses. A third fire in the 1980s gutted the largest remaining factory on the site. (9)

Data Held (Document). SNT2647.

(3), Ind Arch File

Listed buildings slides, (Photograph). SNT2648.

Listed buildings slides, 3 slides (Photograph). SNT2648.

NIAS, March 1985, NIAS Journal (Serial). SNT1747.

<1> CBA, Industrial Survey (Published document). SNT184.

Other Refs: IA4 7/5

<2> Smith DM, 1965, The Industrial Archaeology of the East Midlands, p 231 (Published document). SNT1304.

<3> Reedman K, 1977, Pers Comm (Personal comment). SNT1180.

<4> Pevsner N, 1979, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire 2nd ed., p 69 (Monograph). SNT4.

<5> DOE, Listed Building Description (Published document). SNT228.

Other Refs: 5.3.1

<6> Palmer M & Neaverson P, 1992, Industrial Landscapes of the East Midlands, p 54 (Monograph). SNT5.

<7> Huckerby J, 27/06/1892, Warehouse, Wollaton Road (DC/BS 4/3 no. 1459) (Plan). SNT1652.

<8> Huckerby J, 04/04/1893, Waiting Room, Wollaton Road (DC/BS 4/3 no. 1434) (Plan). SNT1653.

<9> TPAU, 2006, Anglo-Scotian Mill, Beeston, Nottingham: A Building Survey (Unpublished document). SNT4883.

Sources/Archives (13)

  • --- Serial: NIAS. March 1985. NIAS Journal. 10.
  • --- Document: Data Held.
  • --- Photograph: Listed buildings slides. .
  • --- Photograph: Listed buildings slides. 3 slides.
  • <1> Published document: CBA. Industrial Survey.
  • <2> Published document: Smith DM. 1965. The Industrial Archaeology of the East Midlands. p 231.
  • <3> Personal comment: Reedman K. 1977. Pers Comm.
  • <4> Monograph: Pevsner N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire 2nd ed.. Penguin. p 69.
  • <5> Published document: DOE. Listed Building Description.
  • <6> Monograph: Palmer M & Neaverson P. 1992. Industrial Landscapes of the East Midlands. Phillimore & Co Ltd. p 54.
  • <7> Plan: Huckerby J. 27/06/1892. Warehouse, Wollaton Road (DC/BS 4/3 no. 1459).
  • <8> Plan: Huckerby J. 04/04/1893. Waiting Room, Wollaton Road (DC/BS 4/3 no. 1434).
  • <9> Unpublished document: TPAU. 2006. Anglo-Scotian Mill, Beeston, Nottingham: A Building Survey.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jan 19 2023 7:34PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any questions or more information about this record? Please feel free to comment below with your name and email address. All comments are submitted to the website maintainers for moderation, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible. Comments, questions and answers that may be helpful to other users will be retained and displayed along with the name you supply. The email address you supply will never be displayed or shared.